For those interested in how our company is progressing (we're big on baby steps here), I've made this video showing our new Order Picking system.
Let me tell you a little bit about why and how we got where we are today.
The old way of picking orders was one-by-one. None of our products had bar codes and everything was put in the warehouse "alphabetically" (except when it wasn't). As a result, in order to pick an order an employee:
- Had to know what our products were
- Had to know where the products were in the warehouse
- Had to be able to walk in circles a lot
- Had to have their orders double and triple checked by the shipping clerk, and often there were errors that bounced the order back out onto the floor for fixing
I really struggled with finding a system that I felt I could integrate into my current operations. But I finally settled on the Ready To Ship system and I am pleased with it. Now, a complete stranger can walk in off the street, be handed an order, and within a few minutes start picking orders without error.
Here are the steps that it took for me to get there:
- Had to create "zones" for my products and new pick bins
- Had to develop a bar code system which was transferred over to both the website and the product labels
- Had to find a vendor who could work with my funky old shopping cart
- Had to convince my staff to do the switch (they were very resistant at first).
Here is the website for the program I purchased: http://www.readytoshippicking.com/
The fellow who runs the business, Frank Ruffing, provides excellent customer service.